Re: 13 gates open at guntersville now and sauger are Fine!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Garrett on January 24, 2002 at 22:55:31:

In Reply to: 13 gates open at guntersville now and sauger are Fine!! posted by Snapperking on January 23, 2002 at 21:39:38:

Were you fishing from the bank or boat?
I went Tuesday with a partner and we caught 14 in a little over two hours, all but 2 would measure. We didn't get to the ramp until 2:30 and saw 5 boats taking out. They had all been downriver at the powerline bluff and most had limits. They were leaving because the gates opened around noon and they gave up fighting the current. Fish were still hitting, but most were caught before gates opened.
We fished in the secondary lock and I decided to go again Wednesday. Got there around 1:30 and had 7 in two hours, 4 measured. But around 3:30 they opened the other gates and the current in the lock changed. The fish moved from my favorite spot. Spent an hour looking around in lock for eddy's and caught one more, the other two boats there weren't doing much after that either.
I would recommend fishing from the bank on the lock side. Talked to one guy and he had limit near the long lock wall (in the rough water). Sea gulls were grabbing minnows and bait showed on graph. Water was too rough for the 15' 25hp jon boat I was using. May head to the bank this weekend unless the gates close, then I'll go downriver.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]