Re: Maps Maps, BIG HUGE maps...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on January 21, 2002 at 10:03:32:

In Reply to: Maps Maps, BIG HUGE maps... posted by Kerry Grissett on January 20, 2002 at 21:21:17:

It just so happens that I too printed some of these maps last week at work. We have a HP design jet that prints in color using a 36 inch roll of paper. The maps are pretty good quality, especially considering that they are free! They are as good as any 7.5 minute digital USGS topos that I have seen. The maps are roughly 22 x 28 inches at a resolution of 250 dpi. Each time you reduce the map size in half, you can double the resolution. I use Adobe Photoshop to edit (expensive software >$500), but I think the new Adobe Photo Deluxe that comes with many scanners will allow you to print at home and make the files more manageable. That is, if you don't crash and burn during the initial file opening. :) Go to "advanced" and "size" and "image size" to make the photo physically smaller. In photo deluxe, choose "send and save" or "save to disk" (depending on version) then "export" then select "jpg" output option. This will make the files MUCH easier to manage at a smaller size. If anyone is trying this and has problems, drop me a line. I think you might also be able to get free conversion software online that will convert from .tif to .jpg.

During the NAFF environmental discussions a few weeks ago, I found another really cool map that defines water use classifications in Alabama. The map is about 15 MB and the index is about 10 MB. The link is on ADEM's web site at:

http://www.adem.state.al.us/EnviroProtect/Water/Surface/SurfaceOth/maps/1998%20303(d)%20Map.htm

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]