Wheeler lake crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 20, 2002 at 19:47:50:

Even though we only got about 1 to 1.5 inches of rain, on average in the North Alabama area, Wheeler is up nearly 3 feet (and rising) from before the rain. Neither Wilson nor Guntersville lakes fluctuate anywhere near as much as Wheeler does. I think that explains, at least in part, why Wheeler is usually a much harder lake to fish with consistant success, at least for me. Of course, it could just be me. (grin)

Also, the rain that fell was a cold rain, which isn't helping much this time of year. Although the river channel on Wheeler was still relatively clear (only slight stain at Decatur), it may start to stain more over the next couple of days with the silt ridden run-off from creeks and streams. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though. I have caught a lot of crappie in much muddier water than I saw today. I think it will take at least a day or a few days for things to stabilize on Wheeler, but then we have the prediction of more rain by then. At least that rain *should* be warmer.

I tried several places from the bank around Decatur today with poor results. Only caught about 5 crappie with only one being just barely a keeper. If the warmer weather holds up, this coming weekend may be killer! (fingers crossed)(grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]