Crappie moving up a little in North Alabama

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 18, 2002 at 21:18:40:

Fished several days this week from the boat and caught a few crappie, but no limits yet.

Most of them have come from 5-10 foot depth holding near, but not always on, structure. Lately I have started to find some, and better quality, fish in 2-4 foot waters. Sunny days seem to be best. I think this may be because the mud is getting heated up enough to make small larva and other organisms rise out of the mud and the crappie are feeding on them. I haven't seen a mass movement of crappie from the deeper water to the shallows yet though.

Best fish recently was 2 pounds 1 ounce, white crappie. Average weight has been 1/2 - 3/4 pounds with lots of throw backs. Best days catch: by myself 28, with a friend 40. This was fishing nearly all day, from about 7-8 am to 3-5 pm.

Best lure for me has been a shrimp/crawdad made by Creme. Good luck finding them! I am almost out of the ones I found last year at Walmart on closeout. Creme's site is being redone, so you may have trouble getting them there also. RattleSnake also makes small crawdad lures that seem to work well, but nothing as good as the Creme "shrimp". No, this is not an ad for Creme lures. For the record, I have no affiliation with Creme or any other lure company. This lure simply works great for me this time of year.

That's all for now.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: