DATE: 1-18-02
LAKE LEVEL: 558.3
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 44.3 am - 44.9 pm
WATER CLARITY: Great

The Winner of the Cincinnati Boat & Travel Show is:
Scott Plewky
Alexandria, KY

CRAPPIE: Crappie fishing is still doing good up river in the old river channel.Still using minnows fishing right on the edge of the
drop. Whenever you can find a blow-down (and there are several up there) doing well catching suspended fish after 10-12 ft. deep
in about 20 feet of water. Most of the coves upriver are not accessible but some are. Coming out of Riverside and turning to the
right, the first little cove on you right is Rocky Cove.You couldn't get in there with anything less than an airboat that runs on
mud.The next big cove on your right is Trotters. Come past the iron pole sticking in the water and make an immediate right, trim
your motor up and idle in. Fish the fish-attractor that you see in there.There are crappie on it.
The next cove you see will be James Branch.Do not go in there even if someone has a gun to your head.
Coming on down passed James Branch is Pruett's Island. Pruett's Island is a great place to catch crappie and bass when they are not
pulling water.
Passed Pruett's Island (marker #68) is Three Mile Creek on your left.Come on down and look in and you will see a small cove, come
in about center of that cove and you will be fine and dandy.The first rocky point up in the creek comes out there a little ways, take a
wide turn around that otherwise there is some standing timber in an about 8 foot square. There will be a white PVC pipe sticking out
of it when the water is up but right now you will not have any trouble seeing it.Come on down passed Three Mile and the next creek
on your left is Spring Creek. Do not attempt to go over the roadbed in the mouth.Go on down a little ways and you will see a bridge
and that is Cowan Creek. The way you get into Spring and Cowan Creek at this time would be go under the bridge at the Alabama
Belle (QUEEN).When the water comes up to where you cannot get under the bridge, if you are in the channel come right beside the
bridge at marker #55.Coming back to the river channel going passed the river boat the first little cove is Paddleboat Cove.Do not
attempt to go down the middle of the cove going in, there are some rocks and stumps there.Go down the right side.About the time
you get even with the first dock on your right if you do a hard left you will find some standing timber there.All these places that I
have described to you will hold fish during the spring.Next fishing report I will cover from Riverside up to the state line.

BASS: Bring a good book.

STRIPE: The stripe on the lower end for some reason have slowed down.About the time you think you have them figured out they
will have you out there flapping.They are still catching stripe out of Riverside on the old river channel edge using crappie minnow.
If you can get your hands on some live shad you could probably do a lot better.3/4 oz chrome/blue Rat'l Trap works good under the
birds modified and non-modified.

BREAM: Non-existent on Weiss. Guntersville: Butch, one of my partners, and his 2 boys went and caught 68 bream that they kept in
2 hours.45-50 ft. deep using meal worms and crickets.He was there a total of 3 hours but it took him an hour to get on them.

Weiss Lake is still down bad! Be VERY, VERY careful!! I am going to go thru some launch sites available starting with the lower end
of the lake and come up.
Pine Cone Marina (in Powerhouse lake) ---NO
Leesburg Marina ---NO
City of Leesburg Public ramp in the cut ----YES (but you can't leave your vehicle there because of vandals.
Bay Springs---YES
Yellow Creek---YES but be careful, there is a roadbed straight out from the launch.
Driftwood---NO
JR's Marina ----Yes but be careful
Hwy #9 Public Launch Ramp---Yes but another vandalism problem there
Hawg's Den---YES Be careful
Rooster's-----YES But there is a hole in the center of the ramp so be careful
Cowan Creek Grocery----NO
John's Grocery on Spring Creek (pay at store) -----YES
Riverside---YES
Ladd's Fish Camp---NO
To my knowledge that about covers it.
We had a great show in Cincinnati with an awful lot of people coming by to speak with me so I can put a face to your names.Being
a county boy, I was overwhelmed with the places to eat.I really enjoyed the restaurants in Cincinnati. Weren't to fond of the one-way
streets! Weren't to fond of the traffic either! But we had a great time and met an awful lot of nice people.Thanks for stopping by.I
cannot give anymore advice on Compaq computers, they finally gave me back my money!!!! So the best advice I can give now is
plant your corn early, do not pee in the wind, and get your bones down to Weiss Lake and catch some big crappie.Sincerely, Steve
256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com Give me a "holler if I can help"!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]