Wheeler Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ked on January 15, 2002 at 22:42:14:

Fished Wheeler today and caught 15 crappie with only 10 being keepers, 1 big fat chunky 2 1/2 lb bass that looked like his gut was about to explode and 5 stripe between 2 - 4 lbs. Fish were on drop offs between 6 - 15 ft. Minnows not producing anything so I stuck strickly with jigs today. 1/16 oz ( I think ) white head with silver body fished real S-L-O-W. The bites felt like dragging over a tree limb. ( yea I set the hook on a few of them today too ). Water temp was 43-45 degrees. The fish were moving up from the deeper water to feed and then going back down. You could watch them on the depth finder sitting below you and then disappear and you would catch one. I tried vertical jigging on top of them but they were only feeding when they moved up the drop off. Casting up to the 5-6 ft water and S-L-O-W-L-Y letting it swing back to the boat on a tight line. When they stopped biting I new I was fishing too fast and would have to slow down again. (Got a little excited a few times). Put on some warm clothes and give them a try. It's funny how you forget the cold after you catch that first one!!! By the way, I caught a Brown Nose Crappie today. Only the third one I've ever caught. Any one else ever caught one? God Bless and Good Fishing ! <><

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]