Re: G-ville Dam Sauger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on January 11, 2002 at 16:58:48:

In Reply to: Re: G-ville Dam Sauger posted by Sprinter on January 11, 2002 at 12:22:28:

First I should refer you to the NAFF home page in the "Fishing Articles Page" section. Read Alex's "Sauger Techniques" article. Now I can put in my two cents worth. I usually fish within 600 yards of the dam, but my "shallow fish" have been unreliable and on the small side this season. Normally I can catch them from 15 - 22 feet deep with 1/4 to 1/2 oz jigs. I only fish downstream from G-ville Dam as far as the Paint Rock River junction. It is a fairly short ride, but a cold one, from Ditto Landing in Huntsville. I've had some success just upstream from Paint Rock in water from 35-55 feet deep. Also I've caught a few about a mile or so upstream at Painted Bluff which is on the left headed upstream. Look for other boats because they'll be on the productive spots. It's not uncommon to see a dozen boats in one area. I use 3/4 oz up to 1 oz orange head jigs with 3" chartreuse curl tail grubs tipped with a large tuffy minnow on 8# line hopped up and down along the bottom. My second color choice is chartreuse head with light blue or firetiger grub. If you are getting short strikes use a stinger hook, which of course will make you get hung up more often. According to the TVA website the G-ville Dam will only generate this Saturday from 5:00 - 9:00 P.M. Usually no current means no fish. I wouldn't waste my time Saturday, unless you plan to fish at night. Hopefully Sunday they will generate more. Generally weekdays offer a stronger current since the industrial power needs make generation necessary. I fished from 6:00 to 8:45 this morning and only caught 6 sauger. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]