Re: Reader's Digest version

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 11, 2002 at 00:35:59:

In Reply to: Reader's Digest version posted by jd on January 09, 2002 at 10:50:20:

Gee, you can't make it simpler? (grin) LOL

Point taken. But, I haven't ever seen/read any government documents or heard any government official that didn't get around to a long explanation of how they are "under-funded" and can't get their job done efficiently without more money. Decatur's raise in sales tax from 8% to 9% is a very good example.

The eternal answer in politics and government always seems to be "more money", i.e. more taxes. Efficiency and effectiveness in anything is a matter of will and determination, which we seem to have very little of in most of our government agencies and politicians.

I have talked to several people who are on state, federal or local government payrolls who openly admit that more often than not things don't get done because it isn't "required" of them. This is not to say that it isn't their job to get it done, but they are allowed to not get it done yet still remain on the government payroll. Not to mention the way annual budgeting is handled with many, if not most, government agencies. "If you spend it, you will get it next year. If you don't spend it, you lose it next year." Seems to me the incentives are backwards. Effectiveness and efficiency in performance seems to be unknown in government at all levels.

These same people also tell me (a story I have heard all my life, and have seen in action personally) that way too many people do absolutely nothing but push paper around in order to justify their existence on the government payroll. Sure this same situation exists in most large companies and corporations, but they don't collect taxes (well, yes, some do through corporate/agricultural welfare) from me each april 15th. This also helps to produce the tons of "dry reading" documents which provide little substance, although lots of words and paper.

In any case, political reform is the only way to get at the root of the real problem with government waste. I really don't know what the social solution is for the attitudes of people who think it is OK to live and "work" that way. We seem to have a welfare society at all levels which is getting out of hand.

I won't get discouraged easily. I have found that you usually have to get people emotionally and passionately involved in order to move them into action. By exposing how all our lives, health and bank accounts are directly affected, it will hopefully move many into positive action. The best of which is to become informed about what is really going on.

Hopefully I haven't turned anyone away from actively working toward a solution. I would like to think I have at least planted the seed of motivation in some people. For those that I may have turned off with my ignorance, I am working on that. (smile)

Thanks again for your input,

Good luck and good fishin'
Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: