True Story

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry on January 08, 2002 at 22:16:20:

There was a message posted her a few days ago about a fellow losing his anchor at Guntersville Dam and it made me think of something.
I was at Wheeler Dam several years ago and I was drifting for smallmouth. I was by myself and needed to get some bait, so I had pulled up on the bank and tied my boat up was walking up the bank to throw a cast net and catch some minnows. I noticed this fellow standing down on the rocks next to the swift water and was holding a rope in his hand. All of a sudden another fellow surfaces out about 15 feet and swims and being pulled back to the bank. He walks up the bank as far as the rope will let him and dives--- that's right dives back into the water. Well he goes out of sight and the current carries him down and the guy pulls him back in and the same thing over again.I Could not believe what I was seeing. I asked the guy on the bank what in the world was that guy doing. He had lost a rod and reel and was trying to find it. He dove in again and sure enough dove into a rock and cut a big gash in his head.
I guess the moral of the story is, waters around dams are very dangerous. You have to know what you are doing or you can get in trouble quick. When fishing around these dams be careful and respect the water. Just a few things that I have learned.
Never fish a dead hole (water where a turbine discharges that is not running)

Never throw an anchor out the back of the boat.

Always wear a life jacket

Never throw a cast net with the rope wrapped around your arm if you are in a boat.

Don't go near the dam if you are not experienced in that type water.

Make sure you have a very reliable motor and a good wide deep safe boat.

Use common sense, if you think it might be dangerous it probably is.

Some of our best fishing in North Alabama is around these dams, just be prepared when you go fish there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]