G'ville Dam sauger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on January 07, 2002 at 10:01:53:

I went fishing Saturday morning below the dam. TVA stopped generating at 10:00 am, so I did not have much time to fish. Water temperature was 44 F, and it was a bluebird sky with high pressure in place prior to the weekend rain event. I did not catch a fish and did not see anyone catch a fish in spite of the presence of 7-8 boats. I fished both sides of the wing wall next to the powerhouse and mooring towers and the channel near the lock areas. Maybe during the wind and rain would have been the magic time, but I don't think TVA was generating much this weekend. TVA never seems to cooperate with weekends or my schedule.

For those who read posts here and then drive from distant places, be advised that the south ramp at Gunterville dam can be a VERY dangerous place. During winter pool on Wheeler, the ramp is even more steep and dangerous. The water can drop rapidly leaving a slick, algae covered ramp. There is no place to moor a nice fiberglass boat, and the concrete sidewalk with the small rubber bumper was above the water on Saturday. On saturday morning, the ramp was covered with ice where boats has pulled out trailers, and had algae on top of that. I highly recommend 4WD when visiting g'ville dam. I know people that live near the dam and drive to Ditto landing to navigate upriver (about 10-15 miles or so) to fish the dam. In my life, I have witnessed two trucks and trailers completely underwater at the ramp. Just imagine how many times it happens when I am not there! On one of these occasions, I saw a diver go into the water to hook a chain so that the rig could be pulled out. That would be a bad day of fishing regardless of how good the fish were biting!!

Good luck and be careful!!

jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]