Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 1-1-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on January 01, 2002 at 17:43:43:

DATE: 1-1-02
LAKE LEVEL: LOW 556.9
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 44.1 in am - 44.2 pm
WATER CLARITY: Good

Check out Butch's great deer! If you are not viewing this report on Weiss Lake Guide Service web site you will need to go to
www.weisslakeguideservice.com to view the picture. Just go to the site and click on the fishing report.

Before I get started on the fishing report, anybody that might like to come down and talk to me personally. I will be at the Cincinnati
Travel & Fishing Show downtown from January 4th - 13th. I will have some pretty good crappie on ice, not as good as I would like to
have because Harry had to catch them while I was on vacation. When Harry reads this he is going to want to punch me, just
joking....he did the best anybody could do considering the weather has just been terrible, cold & windy. I am surprised he caught
anything.If you would like to see the World Record Black Crappie, I will have it with me with a lot of real nice mounts also. Hope to
see you there! To the nice folks around the Indianapolis area Mrs. Cheryl will be there February 15th - 24th, representing Weiss Lake
Guide Service. She will also have some great mounts. I will be at the Jim Strader Show February 15th-17th in downtown Louisville
Kentucky. Stop by to see us! At all 3 shows we will be bringing some of Mrs. Cheryl's crappie jigs. For those of you that fish the
annual spring crappie rodeo for the big bucks, you can buy your entry at a reduced price at the shows. All proceeds go to Weiss Lake
Improvement Association.All monies go back into our water.Nobody is on salary.It is all a labor of Love!

CRAPPIE: With the cold weather along with the low water, and the constant draining of the lake, crappie fishing is tough as nails.
However, there is a bright side to this conversation. They stopped pulling water today and they will let the lake come slowly back up.
If you live close enough to the lake, leave your fishing tackle at home, bring your camcorder or your camera, and get a look at some
things that are normally underwater that you will not see any other time.A little bit of time in the boat this time of year, will improve
your spring and fall fishing tremendously.Not just crappie, you bass fishermen will benefit also.

BASS: Bass fishing has quit! Cold water and cold wind does not make for good fishing. Neither for the fish or the fisherman.I am a
woos! I don't like cold weather! But it will be spring before you know it.

STRIPE: Stripe are the only bright side of the whole deal. The birds have been totally unreliable but with the cold surface temps
are driving the shad deeper which means when the stripe get on them they will run them to the top.I have been on vacation but my
nervous, can't stay at home, partner Harry tells me he is starting to see a little of this activity now. 3/4 oz chrome/blue Rat'l Trap is
doing the job.A modified Rat'l Trap seems to work better. What we are doing is taking the rear hooks off and adding a spinner blade
to the rear of the Rat'l Trap.They are hitting it on a pumping motion.Always seem to hit it on the fall. And it won't be much of a "tic"
either so you better set the hook quick. Harry has caught a 38 and a 42 this week. This is not normal for us. Our fish generally
average 5 - 18 lbs. Our limit here is very liberal. We do not have a size limit and you are allowed 30 per day per person. ( I would
hope that no-one would keep that amount of fish) Keep what you want to eat and please put the rest back and we will still have this
resource for our grandchildren.

CATFISH: I am not much of a catfish fishermen, but I know some avid catfishermen who do not mind sharing info with me.Because
of the low water, they are catching huge catfish on the deep drops off the points. Also on the old river channel edge, right on the
bottom where she breaks flat.They tell me the best bait is cut shad.I really don't know.You may have a better bait to use. I do know
that I like them pretty good fried golden brown.

A word to the wise!!! If you are coming to Weiss Lake in the near future, be VERY CAREFUL!! If you are unfamiliar with the lake I
would strongly recommend idle speed only except in the old river channel which is well marked or we may have a 1/3 off prop sale!
If you missed the last fishing report I strongly suggest that you get a lake map and look at it a little taste before you come down here.
Also, as the fishing gets better, I will be talking about specific locations. If you fish with me or you have fished where I recommended
fishing, you will know I tell it pretty straight. And I know a lot of you are afraid to ask some questions because you are afraid the
question will appear stupid.That's not the case. The only dumb question that I can think of that anybody would ask is which way do
you reel the reel in.If you get a chance go to the chat board and you can ask some questions there and get more than one answer.If
we can be of help holler!
If you want a lake map contact: Centre Motel 256-927-5156
Riverside: 256-779-6117
They will be happy to help you purchase a map.
As always if we can be of any assistance in any way just let us know. We are always GLAD to help! Happy New Year!! Sincerely,
Steve, Cheryl, Butch & Harry
http://www.weisslakeguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]