Daiwa GC80 closed face reel - Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 28, 2001 at 22:25:38:

This reel was purchased from Holloway's in Hartselle on April 28, 2001. On December 24, it had developed enough problems that I had to take it back. Note that I took great care to keep fresh line on this reel and cleaned and lubed it regularly and completely. The reel had been thoroughly cleaned 2 weeks before I returned it, including a complete tear down and rebuild/lube/grease.

The problems were that it had developed an oscillation when reeling in even at very slow speed which caused a sort of moaning that never ceased. Also, and more importantly, the take-up pin had ceased to come out far enough to keep in good contact with the line so it would stop taking in line while retrieving even with relatively constant tension. This appeared to be due to a groove that developed in the plastic piece that pushes the pin out against a spring.

I remembered what Peggy had told me when I purchased the reel, "If you have ANY trouble with this reel, bring it back to me." So, I decided to test her word. She didn't hesitate to reach under the counter and had me a brand new GC80, true to her word! I know this sounds like an ad, but I wouldn't be writing it if I wasn't truly impressed. Given this service I went ahead and purchased the GC100 and GC120 and a new rod right then and there. Hopefully now, with three good reels, I can spread out my usage enough to make them last for a LOT longer.

One note on the Daiwa GoldCast series, the only apparent difference between the GC80, 100 and 120 is size. It appears that they are built exactly the same with the only differences being in the size of the housing and spools. The gear ratio is 1:4.1 on all 3, but the larger models will actually retrieve a little faster due to the larger spools. The larger models also cast a little better for the same reason. I still like the feel of the GC80 a little better as I cup my reels in the palm of my hand and the smaller size of the GC80 is perfect for this, but the 100 and 120 are not overly large, so it is not a strain on my hand when using them.

Wish list: Dual handles, dual takeup pins, drag adjust in different location since palming the reel tends to move the drag setting unintentionally.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]