Trolling motor shopping...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 28, 2001 at 22:02:09:

First, sorry I haven't posted much over the holidays, but I had a really bad chest cold during the week before xmas and am still recovering from the effects. (flu???)

I finally got the boat out for the first time in weeks today and had miserable luck. Only caught one VERY small crappie and my trolling motor "burned up" or at least it had a short in the foot control pedal and made a very foul electrical burning smell and quit working completely. (heavy sigh)

Can anyone suggest a good place to "shop" for a new trolling motor "hands on". I have already looked at the obvious places, Kmart, Walmart, Dicks, local (Decatur area) boat stores, but the "in-stock" selection is very limited. I am looking for a foot controlled, variable speed (not just 5 presets), 12 or maybe another 12/24 volt, 40lb thrust or a little above that, trolling motor. I have looked at the Minn Kota PowerDrive system but am not sure if I want a servo driven steering system. The MK Maxxum series looks interesting, but I haven't been able to see one up close. I am not ruling out anything, but since the MotorGuide I had gave me nothing but trouble, I am thinking of steering clear of them. In the past folks have also suggested Evinrude and even Johnson trolling motors, but I haven't ever seen one up close in a store or on a boat in use.

I have checked the mail order shops like Bass Pro, but most of them want too much on shipping ($55 for BassPro) to make it feasible. I have to limit my price to around $300 and that is a stretch this close after xmas, but crappie season is almost here and I have to have reliable equipment!!! (smile)

Thanks!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: