Re: Tips for Guntersville Dam jacks?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on December 21, 2001 at 09:30:07:

In Reply to: Re: Tips for Guntersville Dam jacks? posted by Smallie on December 20, 2001 at 21:17:12:

The south wall of the "dry lock" is built in sections that are perched on top of large round concrete pillars. This enables current from the dam as well as current from lock releases to swirl in the lock. When the lake level is about 550 feet above sea level you can see under the lock wall. It is usually a good place to try for sauger as lots of other boats fish in there too.

You are correct about current being essential to the sauger bite, however they will still feed with only a very small amount of current. Don't be afraid to fish in areas that appear to be calm on the surface because somtimes subtle underwater currents will cause them to stack up like cord wood if there is some bottom structure to hold them. Watch your depthfinder closely as you slowly troll around in front of all of the flood gates. You will find three humps that sometimes hold lots of sauger, as well as several tons of lead from jigs.

I went from 4:45 till 7:00 this morning because I had to leave early. The bite was unusually slow early as I only managed two small sauger. No bass for me either, but I did catch an 8 lb flathead catfish that had some great looking fillets on him. They are the tastiest of all the catfish species. Water temperature this morning was still a balmy 58 degrees which felt like bath water with the air temperature below freezing. I hope the bite got better after I left. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]