Re: Fisheries Biologist???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Darr on December 18, 2001 at 16:05:07:

In Reply to: Fisheries Biologist??? posted by Coleman on December 12, 2001 at 18:38:55:

The State of Alabama employees fisheries biologists and aides. Most of the fisheries biologists with the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries start as a "Biologist II - Inland Fish Option" and usually have a Master's degree. The pay is $30,750.20 a year. The number of state biologists in Alabama is relatively small, but Auburn has a well known school and many graduate receive jobs in other states/nations. ADEM and GSA also hire fisheries people. I strongly suggest you go to the Alabama Fisheries Association meeting in Gulf Shores on February 27-March 1 to talk with these people, www.dpo.uab.edu/~raangus/AFASU01/Choose.html. I worked for eleven years in other states before I got a job with Alabama, and it wasn't for more money. The Division has hired many aides that have a Bachelor's degree. I would talk with Auburn Fisheries staff about the jobs their graduates are getting before investing the time and money. Realize that other professions often receive higher pay (some much, much higher). Fisheries is great if you like doing the computer and report work, communicating with people, improving the environment/fishing, and working real hard. If you just want to be outside having fun, get another job. You can always fish on your off time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]