Re: Commercial fishing nets on Guntersville?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Garrett on December 14, 2001 at 09:48:27:

In Reply to: Commercial fishing nets on Guntersville? posted by Slabmaster on December 13, 2001 at 15:32:25:

Last spring I had begun to enjoy some success while jug fishing in the Hobbs Island area. I was catching several large catfish behind the island (narrow side) until one day we went and a commercial fisherman had decided to put out trot lines. They were about every 100 yards and caught up most of our jugs every time. I was discouraged and I thought it was illegal to run a line over 2/3's the way across a creek, but I guess this is exempt since the river is parallel. Anyway, we ended up having to go to the main channel to try our luck. We did this and some of the jugs got hung up on a gill net. This was the first one that I'd ever seen and I thought for sure that it was illegal. I carefully noted the position of it and called the game warden the next morning. He informed me that there is a minimum hole size and other than that, they are pretty much legal. He went on to inform me that almost all of what they catch is drum and carp which are sold to cat food manufacturers. He said that they do catch some cats and those are sold to meat markets. I'm really upset about the whole situation. I understand that people like to earn money by commercial fishing, but I really don't like trying to compete with them to catch catfish. Those gill nets and trot lines have absolutely ruined my favorite place for jug fishing and there isn't anything I can do about it. Sure I could cut them, but that's not the right thing to do. Is there some kind of meeting that is open to the public to allow us to express their opinions on the subject? Sorry for my venting, but I needed to get that out.
Garrett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]