Re: Reels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on December 12, 2001 at 11:08:59:

In Reply to: Reels posted by joecat on December 11, 2001 at 22:00:52:

A front drag spinning reel is very versatile by offering a good drag system, ease of casting for a novice (not referring to you as a novice), and the ability to throw very light (such as small Rapala) to medium baits. Therefore, it can be used for panfish, bass, catfish, and just about anything else. The Shimano TX-2000 is perhaps one of the smoothest and most inexpensive reels on the market (<$30? at Wal Mart). However, when I replaced an old worn out rear drag Abu reel on a 6-1/2' graphite spinning rod, I found that the TX seat did not fit that rod seat and that it is made smaller than it was years ago? Anyway, I ended up buying a Shimano Sonora or Sedona (sorry I can't remember) and have never respected the reel as much as a TX that I once owned. For one thing, it does not have the "quick fire" trigger which some people may or may not like. I have recently added an Okuma Epix spinning reel ($60) to my arsenal and I like it pretty good so far after only a few trips with it. I am hoping that it will hold up well with all those ball bearings. I do miss the "trigger" on the Shimano TX. If you often fish with inline spinners such as a rooster tail, I would avoid a spinning reel because the line will twist and you will end up with knots and a big mess. Twist is a classic problem with spinning reels.

The ABU baitcasters are indeed hard to beat for the money. However, I have had some bad ones along with the good ones. You will know after you cast it one time if you got a loose one or a tight one. It has always amazed me how much the ABU 5500's can vary. Maybe someone can shed light on some lubricant that can loosen up some of my tight ones. Since I bought a Shimano Curado last year, I think the tides may be shifting towards Shimano on the baitcaster side as well. The new ABU C5 MAG ($95) with the magnetic brake that I received as a gift is pretty smooth. While I am not sure if it it as smooth as the Shimano Curado ($120), it is smooth enough to backlash in a hurry when the magnet is off similar to the Curado built in brake switches. The jury is still out since I have not had much time to evaluate under various conditions. I don't know what the deal was, but the ABU 5000 baitcaster was only $39.99 at Madison Wal-Mart last year so I gave one as a gift. I did later cast it and it seems quite smooth. I have an old 5000 that I use for catfish and stripe fishing since anything will drop to the bottom or cast a heavy chunk of lead. Somehow the spool wore into the housing, probably due to lack of maintenance on my part. If you prefer to fish for panfish such as bream, and fish with small, light baits such as Rapala, a baitcaster might not be the right choice.

I do have ABU, Shimano, Zebco, Johnson, and Daiwa closed face, spinning, and baitcasting reels in my graveyard collection of over 20 years. If you fish a lot, and can spend a little more, it may pay off. However, I almost believe that some reels have improved over the years and I am glad that some wore out so that I had an excuse to buy new ones. Maybe in another 10 years I will be able to rate all these "high end" reels.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Shimano TX-2000 or the ABU Garcia 5500C. As for closed face reels, Kerry seems to be THE MAN! :)

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]