Re: Reels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 11, 2001 at 22:36:39:

In Reply to: Reels posted by joecat on December 11, 2001 at 22:00:52:

I don't think I can recommend ANY low to mid-range prices reels anymore. I have tried nearly all of the closed face reels and the couple of them that have held up any length of time at all have been around $60. Yep, I am one of those folks who still likes the ease of use of closed-face spinning reels even though it is hard to find one that will not only perform well, but also last more than a few months with frequent fishing. I rarely have a day, except during the summer heat, that I don't wet a line at least for a little while! (grin)

I am sure you will get many more responses about baitcasting and spinning reels (open face), but I will tell you what I know about closed-face reels. The reels I have now are an AbuMatic 1275 (the last of 4 that I have owned) and a Daiwa GoldCast 80 (the smaller of three models and the first one of this model I have owned). The Abumatic's gave a good first impression when I got my first one but I have found that they suffer from bad manufacture and material quality. In other words, I have had more lemons and bad experiences than I should have for a $60 reel. The one I have left and am still using is holding up OK, but I don't expect it to be around this time next year.

The Daiwa GC 80 is a pretty decent reel, but I have had trouble with the gears on this one. Although i have cleaned and greased it thoroughly and regularly and kept good fresh line on it, it sometimes feels like the gears are grinding. Even with that said, it is a decent reel. My next one will probably be a GC120.

Keep in mind that I use my equipment more than the "average" fisherman and I use this equipment for ALL types of fishing. I recently caught several very large hybrids (one about 20#) and was using the GC 80 with 6# test. I guess that is about as good a testiment to the quality as I can think of! Years ago the Zebco 33 was a half decent reel, but the ones they make now would have been gear stripped on that day and the GC 80 is still catching fish. For that matter so is the Abumatic 1275...

Anyway, there is what I know for what it is worth. I am sure you will get a lot better info on reels from other folks since I have little experience with other types than closed-face spinning reels.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]