Re: What's a crawly bottom? a few more details

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on December 09, 2001 at 09:24:47:

In Reply to: Re: What's a crawly bottom? posted by me on December 07, 2001 at 13:42:50:

A crawley is a "sucker" that attaches itself to the concrete walls in the current below the dam, at least it is common at Guntersville dam. It somewhat resembles the "algae eaters" that people put in their home aquariums, but it has a more coarse body and pointy and stiff gill plates. When they are schooling heavily, they can often be caught near the end of the wall where the wall goes down into the water. Since you can reach the water on the lower end, you can use a dip net to scoop them. Otherwise, if they are on the wall closer to the powerhouse, it is probably 20 feet or so above the water so a dip net will not reach them. In this case, you need a wire cage that with ropes attached where you drop the cage upcurrent and when it drifts below the crawley, you jerk like crazy before it gets spooked and swims away. I have seen these critters so thick that you could scoop a half dozen or so on each scoop, but that is not always common. When they are running deeper, you will need a trained eye to spot them underwater attached to the wall. Like someone said, usually 3-5 inches long. However, I caught a monster the other day that must have been 7-8 inches and bigger than my thumb around. It was a real monster in the crawley bottom world.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]