Re: G-ville dam- -bank access

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on December 06, 2001 at 13:28:14:

In Reply to: Re: G-ville dam- -bank access posted by Bonnie Casey on December 05, 2001 at 21:35:07:

There are no dumb questions -- it only shows you are trying to learn. First a crawly bottom is a 3-5 inch long minnow that is brown with vertical bars on its sides. They swim along the wall on the south bank right next to the powerhouse. You can catch them with a dip net but a wall basket works best. Walk down and watch people on the wall and you will see the minnows as well as someone with a wall basket probably catching them. By the way, they make great sauger bait as well as smallmouth and stripe bait. Five of the sauger I cleaned a couple of days ago had crawly bottoms in their stomachs.

Yellowtails are threadfin shad. I'm not sure where they are running now because I haven't located them for the past week, other than a few scattered ones. I use my wall basket to catch them when they are schooling by the hundreds along the wall. I use my cast net when they school up near the south boat ramp or along the rip-rap banks.

If you plan to catch bait or fish from the wall be sure to check to see how much they are generating. Bait will usually have the wall covered up as long as they are generating at 75% or less. When they release water at 100% it is too swift for bait to stay along the wall. When the bait gets washed downstream the predators follow, so should you.

When stripe fishing from a boat you should pull up as close to the boiling water as you feel comfortable. Most will be caught within 400 yds of the dam. Fish live bait near the bottom and hold on. Be sure to keep a loose drag and use at least 17 lb line with a large capacity spool.

I do not know of anyone who sells wall baskets. All I have seen are homemade. I used re-bar and 3/8 inch wire to make mine. I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]