Re: crappie fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on December 03, 2001 at 10:12:20:

In Reply to: crappie fishing posted by Fisherman on December 01, 2001 at 19:38:41:

Yes, there is "good crappie fishing in guntersville," but you have to be there on the right day at the right time of the year with the right weather. Nevermind... I'll skip the smartmouth stuff and give my story.

Went Saturday for a few hours around noon and took some live minnows. The Warrenton causeway bridge was covered up as usual, so I went to the big bridge. Off of the channel, the current was flowing "backwards" and things did not look good. Could not keep the small stripe off of my minnow, but somehow managed a decent crappie within about 10 minutes. The stripe were very persistent so I started moving around fishing different bridge columns off the main channel. Partner managed a huge foul hooked shellcracker that must have been 1-1/2 pounder. About a half dozen small bluegill and 20 stripe later, I gave up.

Was headed home and stopped to fish the Warrenton causeway bridge since everyone had left and then I figured out why I was almost alone. The current was flowing backwards into the backwaters of brown/beech creek and was too strong to anchor or drown a minnow with the light weith rig I had on at the time. I guess it would have taken a 1 ounce rig to keep a minnow down and then you would have been barraged by floating strands of milfoil which had already matted up on the anchor rope. Some days you just know when to throw in the towel and cut your losses with only an hour or two invested.

The water temp was about 59, but wet hands under a shady bridge made things seem much cooler... brrrr... January will be here before you know it, but, then comes the spring feeding frenzy. :) Maybe things will settle down again after the current gets back to normal after all the rains.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]