Re: CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 14, 2001 at 22:37:26:

In Reply to: Re: CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN... posted by LJ on November 14, 2001 at 21:47:19:

I haven't followed the lake level fluctuation for Wilson like I have on Wheeler, but since Wilson is small and directly below Wheeler my guess would be that those fluctuations have more to do with the decline than the stripe.

Although I do have some reservations about stocking stripe (especially saltwater stripe) on any of these lakes, I think the fast drops and rises in lake levels during critical periods have more to do with the crappie decline than stripe ever will. I often wonder why Guntersville lake seems to keep a very stable level even when generating through the dams while Wheeler will rise or fall as much as 1 or 2 feet in less than a day. It might be the size of Guntersville lake and the distance from the next dam upstream, Nickajack, which I think releases less water. In any case, this plays havoc on the crappie and other fish during critcal times like the spring spawn. Then there is the issue of millfoil, grass, etc. I don't know the situation on Wilson, but Wheeler started a VERY noticeable decline after December 1990.

I was told that the millfoil in several places was sprayed. I can't confirm this, but it did die off in several key locations and now those areas are mear shadows of what they used to be for crappie fishing. I could go on and on with "theories" about why they have declined, but who am I? I am not a marine biologist. I am not an ichthyologist. I am just an amateur fisherman who spends every available minute on the water observing. For the past 3 or 4 years I have also been observing data from TVA and other sources. Nope, I can't give you a detailed scientific report with credentials to boot, just what I see and observe on and off of the water...

Take it for what it is worth... (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]