Guntersville crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 12, 2001 at 21:47:44:

Well, I have been saying the hit at Browns Creek bridge and other places in G'ville was early, but today I ate my words. I tried under the bridge on 69 (from the bank) about 7am and only caught 3 with 1 big enough to keep. I might have caught more but the wind was up this morning and the millfoil was breaking up and keeping my jig from getting down on most casts. I think the 3 crappie I caught were caught on the only 3 casts that actually did get down. (grin)

Also tried the Big Spring Creek bridge near Hardees with no luck. A couple of boats under there were catching catfish. Skipped the "East Lake" bridge (feed mill) and tried Short Creek bridge. I didn't catch anything but saw one crappie caught. At this point the wind seemed to be letting up so I called a friend with a boat.

We fished deep drop offs near the main river channel from about 12:30pm until near dark and managed to catch 53 very nice crappie. No big slabs, but mostly decent sized fish (biggest was 1.7 pounds). I only put about 16 in the boat and my partner had the rest. Minnows seemed to be the trick today so I was a little out of luck with my jigs. (sigh)

Fish were hitting from 8 to 20 feet deep. Minnows were fished under a slip cork from 7-18 feet deep and I even tipped a jig with a minnow from time to time and was fishing tightline.

Long story short, early morning should still be good, but don't give up too early! (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]