Wheeler and Guntersville fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 10, 2001 at 23:51:31:

For the past week (tuesday through today, saturday) I have either been on Guntersville or Wheeler lake. As most readers know, I am almost always after crappie this time of year. Wednesday I was in Guntersville and got a limit of decent crappie by 8:30am. No big slabs, but nice fish. I was fishing a deep drop off (to 40 feet) near the main channel and the fish were hitting from 10 to 20 feet deep and holding near the bottom at those depths. Went the next day with a friend and were only able to get 34 between the 2 of us and fished a lot longer. Crappie are still being taken under causeway bridges in Guntersville, but the hit may be less predictable. I am still thinking the best hit is early morning until about 8:30am. Your mileage may vary. (grin) I am still using bass assassins on 16th oz jighead fished tightline. Best colors in Guntersville seemed to be arkansas shiner, crystal shad, and a few on red/chartreuse. When the hit is really good color doesn't seem to matter much. Also, bream (bluegill) are hitting quite well on the same lures. If I really wanted to catch them I would put on a Keystone minnow, but they were hitting the assassins pretty good anyway.

On thursday, while I was reeling in a 10-10.5 inch crappie I saw absolutely the biggest LM bass I have ever seen in the water!!! My partner also saw it as it came up after the crappie on my line. I looked at him with WIDE eyes and asked "Did YOU see THAT!!!". He did, so I was assured that I wasn't seeing things. My estimate was that this fish was at least 15 pounds, minimum. I admit that I am not as good at estimating bass weights as I am with crappie, but earlier this spring I caught a bass that went about 8-10 pounds (based on a 5 pounder I saw weighed in at a local tourney) and the fish that chased the crappie on my line looked twice as big and a LOT healthier! Take it for what it is worth... (grin)

Tuesday, friday and today I fished Wheeler. Bream are also strong on Wheeler and a few crappie can be caught, but with the 2 foot pull down last week, the crappie are a little harder to come by. Friday and Saturday I managed 15 and 9 respectively and that was fishing nearly all day from daylight until around 4pm. I was expecting to find them deep, but most crappie came from shallow water relating to stumps in 3-5 feet of water on friday and relating to laydowns near banks in 2-4 feet of water today. Fished the same jigs tightline and under a cork from 1-3 feet deep. Same color preference as Guntersville.

Sorry again that I didn't take a temperature reading...

Good luck and good fishing'

Kerry

P.S.

I met quite a few nice folks on the water this week and a couple of them mentioned the NAFF and how much they enjoy reading the discussions and good information found here. Thanks for the kudos and thanks again to everyone who helps to make this site so successful!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]