Re: TVA dam restrictions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on November 07, 2001 at 12:51:42:

In Reply to: TVA dam restrictions posted by TroyJ on November 07, 2001 at 09:14:50:

Those have been my thoughts exactly, but I did not want to be the first over-opinionated person to get attacked by the lynch mob that seems to lurk around this forum at times.

The people that run bait-n-tackle stores near the dams, who's families survive on spring and fall fishing flurries, are perhaps going to suffer for no obvious reasons. I think about the Feb-Mar striper run all winter, and the Nov-Dec sauger run all summer. And I never have regrets about supporting the cause by buying jigs, bait, fuel, and refreshments and battling rocks and cables to "escape" for a few days out of the year.

If terrorists want to blow up dams, and obviously have no respect for their own lives, it will happen. Can you imagine TVA or Marine Police boats trying to stop a large cruiser or barge loaded with explosives. Not to mention the threats that could occur from land or air.

I too agree that this has gone a little too far and the terrorists are winning. I am not sure who will fund enforcement of the no float zone. Actually, I know it is tax payers, but I am not sure from which pork barrel it will be skimmed and if it will have any net positive effect. A man and a boat above and below each dam would be expensive, and certainly would not mitigate the risks of terrorism. It will only prevent fishing.

I can only hope that this is not a permanent solution. 100 yards past the no-float zone becomes the no-fish zone on most days!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]