TVA chemicals and water quality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 24, 2001 at 09:41:21:

In Reply to: Re: blemishes posted by Tom L on October 23, 2001 at 10:48:37:

No hard feelings - anymore. :) FYI, I do have a comment about people always talking about "those chemicals" that TVA uses. I am not sure, but I saw a sign at a boat ramp regarding fish consumption. I guess public notice is required anytime that a chemical is used in the lake? Public notice is generally required by the clean water act regulations for things that may impact receiving streams. The likely "required" notices are usually hard to spot and on a telephone pole in the corner of boat ramp parking areas. Anyways, it said the water had been treated with chelated copper sulfate. I am assuming this is what TVA uses to kill milfoil/hydrilla? I am not sure if this stuff is dangerous because it is commonly used to kill algae in drinking water holding basins so that the algae does not clog filters when the water is treated. We all learned that after DDT, it is not always so wise to believe everything that we are told in this area, but I am not too worried about copper since we use copper pipes on houses and even my multi-vitamin contains copper. Zinc is another common "pollutant" that causes many industries such as metal finishers much grief. However, at low doses, it is also in my multi-vitamin.

That is enough for today's environmental tid-bit. It is my opinion that we are very blessed to live in an area with abundant natural resources and low populations. Look at the Georgia Chattahoochee River. It starts picking up wastewater near Helen Georgia where it is not much bigger than an Alabama ditch and goes all the way through Atlanta where it looks like an Alabama creek. Their water/sewer bills are triple to quadruple what we pay because of the high level of treatment required due to the low flows available for dilution. It is used as a joke often, but dilution is the solution to pollution for wastewater discharge. The local stream flow is used to determine the required level of treatment.

I don't want to waste Kerry's server space any longer on this subject. I hope this has been helpful regarding the way you view one of our most valuable resources - fresh water. Only 3% of the all the water on our planet is fresh water (i.e. not salt water). And the mighty Tennessee River, at least asthetically, has some of the finest water I have ever seen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]