G-ville Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 24, 2001 at 09:09:28:

Took the day off on Tuesday to check out Guntersville. I bought four dozen minnows and did not get to the lake until 8:30. The guy where I bought the minnows told me I was too late because the bite usually stops by mid-morning. Nonetheless, I had gotten my daughter to school, had taken the day off from work, and I was going!

Fished bridges in the lower and mid lake area. The total tally was roughly 15-18 crappie, a dink spot, a 2-1/2 lb. largemouth, a dozen or so bream, a handful of yellow belly stripe, a drum, and a skipjack. I don't keep really small crappie, even if they are legal, and ended up with 11 keepers by my standards. Caught almost half by 10 am. As I was headed back home just after lunch, I stopped at a bridge that was subjected to a south breeze that came out of nowhere. The water was whitecapping, and spray was coming over the side of the boat after I tied up. Caught about 5-6 crappie in 20 minutes and could hardly keep my line baited and in the water. Then, as quick as it had started, it ended. Crappie are funny little critters, not to mention that it seemed TVA had pulled the plug and it was suddenly like a river under the bridge.

I must have stayed another hour or so hoping that the crappie would come back. Nada. I saw lots of nice bream and bluegill being caught on crickets, but I don't mess with those bony critters.

Water depths where I fished were 6-30 feet and temperature was around 67 on average. I think the only pattern I established was luck and persistence. I should have gone home after lunch, but stayed 'til 4 pm. I half-heartedly threw a 3/8 white-chart spinnerbait around the Alred/River Bridge area grass and had no takers. After the front passes and the dust settles in a few weeks, maybe I will be able to try again.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]