Re: blemishes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 23, 2001 at 06:14:45:

In Reply to: Re: blemishes posted by Tom L. on October 22, 2001 at 19:00:15:

I would say that a retainer fee of a million or so dollars should be a good start for me to quit my current job and get right on it, sir. My comment was not to be an a-hole, but just to say that this is a complicated mess and it is happening all over the world. There is no magic box that will tell you what "pollutants" are in a water sample, and it costs over $1000 to scan for organics, inorganics, and other typical "pollutants." And what good is ONE sample? And how do you collect it - deep, shallow, or composite? As Randy stated, he has seen a localized problem which would help, but would be expensive and then, on only if you are lucky, and you happen to detect something, how do you trace it back to the source. If it is intentional dumping, it probably happens on the midnight shift, but I am not pointing fingers. Then again, it could be a non-point source such as agriculture which means ADEM should modify storm water pollution reguations. Even then, that is not as easy as it sounds and costs lots of tax dollars that is NOT available for enforcement.

I am not going to start a fight and will crawl back to my corner. After all, I am going to sit on my butt and go fishing today. It seems that most would rather criticize than listen, learn, and help. That is perhaps why the experts qualified in this particular area that could volunteer keep away from helping because of criticizm like this. I, for one, am not willing to donate thousands of dollars to the cause. Increased taxes might just get wasted. Like everything else in the world, the problem will get solved when it gets bad enough. However, people like (Steve and Cheryl?) that volunteer to collect blemished fish and send them to fisheries professionals are making a more positive first resolve effort to isolate this problem.

I am not in a position to say if it is pollutants or a naturally occuring disease, but if you are such the achiever Tom L. and believe there is a problem, why don't you stop attacking me and start a crusade by raising awareness to the people that count! Just my 2 cents.

Good luck fishing guys! With the front on the way, you better get busy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]