Re: crappie on G'ville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 22, 2001 at 14:27:42:

In Reply to: crappie on G'ville posted by fiddle worm on October 22, 2001 at 08:02:36:

I don't know if the fish were jumping in the boat at hwy 69 bridge on Saturday, but there were more people on the northwest corner of the west side bank than could fit on a pontoon boat. It was elbow to elbow, even the boats were on top of each other, so I fished some at Beach Creek bridge with no luck. Went back upriver, finally managed a few keepers when I found some 20' deep water with some current with large "structure" present. It was near dark before I figured it out, but two crappie are better than a skunk.

Returned on Sunday afternoon to the same spot and immediately put two in the boat. Then bream started attacking, and yellow stripe even moved in. If you are into medium size bream, they seem to be biting pretty good. After about an hour and a few dozen minnows, tried covenant cove bridge for a while with no luck, then returned to the previous spot and picked up three more crappie in about 15 minutes, and then it was like a light switch turned off. No more bream, stripe, or crappie to be heard of. After about 30 more minutes, headed to the house around 3:00 pm.

5 crappie in 3 hours, largest about 1-1/2 lb., free-lining live minnows with double bb splitshot on 8 lb. test line. The boats nearby were also picking up a few, but they too were spotty. Catching a limit for me is starting to feel like a spring dream. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]