blemishes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 22, 2001 at 14:01:38:

In Reply to: Re: Wheeler lake water level posted by Randy on October 21, 2001 at 19:37:07:

Let us not forget about our friends upstream, Uncle Sam's Redstone Arsenal, that fought to win the cold war at any cost for several decades. Now, millions of our tax dollars will be used to clean up the mess. Nonetheless, I was under the assumption that Wheeler fish consumption advisories exist mainly for creeks feeding out of the RSA area so why so much bias against Decatur farmers and business?

Maybe it was the alligators that Uncle Sam brought to Wheeler in the 70's that brought some new exotic disease. My exaggerated point is that we could points fingers in every direction, but without the facts, do we really know? What exact pollutants are industries and farmers allegedly discharging into the streams that allegedly causes these blemishes? Agricultural runoff... hmmmmm... yep, let's just blame the farmers... And who approves chemicals for agricultural use? You got it - Uncle Sam. So, if these chemicals allegedly cause sores on fish, should we be eating food? Maybe, if we are lucky, we can blame it entirely on the cotton farmers so the food supply is ok.

I am not defending anyone here and I always try my best to be objective. Perhaps I am just sticking my foot in where it does not belong. :) As an environmental professional, I have never found it so easy to assess such a situation while sitting at my computer with no data. Perhaps you guys know more than is being told so I will keep my mouth shut now.

Good luck fishing! Just throw 'em back to be safe, and if you catch crappie or sauger, bring them immediately to my hazardous waste disposal site and I will convert them to organic material using my built-in biofiltration system. :)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]