Re: Wheeler lake water level

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 21, 2001 at 19:07:47:

In Reply to: Wheeler lake water level posted by KEN on October 21, 2001 at 18:26:26:

They do, usually, drop the water level on Wheeler just before a rain, but the last rain was across the whole state... at least the northern end. You have to keep in mind that when rain falls across the state in levels of 2 or more inches (give or take), TVA can only move as much water as the next lake can take and deal with. I think this is the case now. Also, they might be holding it back for power generation purposes, sort of as a reserve.

Keep in mind that Wheeler, at least in my opinion, is used as THE control lake for the Tennessee river in north Alabama. It fluctuates more than most of the other lakes in the chain which, IMHO, is one major reason why Wheeler is not the BEST fishery on the Tennessee river, along with the run-off from agriculture, etc.

Anyway, they should start to drop the levels soon and with the prediction of more rain later this week, it may be a very rapid drop... (sigh)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

P.S.

All of the above is just my opinion about Wheeler lake, based on about 12 years of general observation and about 4 years of observing the data from TVA.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]