Re: Fish finder tactics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 16, 2001 at 19:46:05:

In Reply to: Fish finder tactics posted by jd on October 15, 2001 at 13:27:28:

I can only speak from limited experience as far as the variety of depth/fish finders I have used. When I bought my boat (used) it had a Hummingbird Wide 128 Fishfinder on the trolling motor. Being the first boat and depthfinder I had owned, I didn't know how much to trust it. Later I purchased an Eagle Fish I.D. 128 portable so I would have a depthfinder on the stern for when I was running the outboard.

Almost immediately, I noticed that structure (and fish) that I would spot with the Eagle would not show up when I came back using the Hummingbird on the trolling motor. I did a variety of tests to compare the two and without fail the Eagle showed structure and fish that the Hummingbird simply couldn't see. Since then, I have come to depend on the Eagle to help me find fish. Even in water much less than 10 feet deep! One time last year I found crappie in 3 feet of water and kept catching them (more than a limit) until they quit. They quit showing up on the depthfinder exactly the same time I stopped catching them.

I have never learned to read the depth finder without the "fish id" on. That is, it shows little fish icons when it sees fish. Some folks use them in the mode where you have to look for the little "arches" which indicate fish. I just never have been able to use mine that way. I also leave the fish alarm on until I find what I am looking for so it will let me know when I should look at the screen. This may be annoying to some, but it works for me. Other than that little change, I operate the Eagle in the default mode it starts out in every time.

I know this probably doesn't help much, but it is the best I can do. (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]