Fish finder tactics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 15, 2001 at 13:27:28:

In Reply to: Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 10-14-2001 posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on October 14, 2001 at 21:27:10:

I never really had much luck using my FISH finder to locate catchable fish. I always figured that in shallow water less than 10 feet that the boat motor scared them!?!? Considering that the motor extends below the boat, 10 foot deep water it roughly equivalent to someone driving an outboard motor propeller over my head along the ceiling in my living room while I am sitting on the couch. That don't look very high. I have noticed that my trolling motor makes shad scatter, so I figured the big motor makes everything run for the hills.

Have I incorrectly ASSumed that a FISH finder is of little value in shallow water when the boat motor is running?

I have the $300 Eagle 240(?) with temp and speed sensors and it has amazing detail. However, I usually only interpret soft or hard bottom and submerged grass and disregard the fish data that you find so useful. I have often thought that I should pass over deeper open water areas at cruising speed to look for submerged fish thereby "seeing" them before they have a chance to run.

I have an OLD bad habit of needing some visible structure such as a shoreline, boathouse, stumps, or grasslines to catch fish. Therefore, my fish finder, which I normally call a depth finder, helps me find drop offs and avoid shallow water but rarely FINDS fish for me. Sounds like I need to reevaluate my game plan!!

Am I the only idiot in the world that doubts a FISH finder's ability in relatively shallow water? And considering that I live in the South, and fish mostly spring and fall, I spend a lot of time in relatively shallow water less than 10 feet deep!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]