Re: Black and White Crappie?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 10, 2001 at 22:41:34:

In Reply to: Black and White Crappie? posted by Luke on October 10, 2001 at 22:30:14:

They are actually two seperate species. In the spring during the spawning period the males of both species have a "spawning display" in which they darken up around the gills and fins. This, I think, has led many folks to beleive that all black crappie are males and all white crappie are females.

Although most of the time the "spots" on white crappie form vetical bars, this is not always true so a white crappie could sometimes be confused with a black crappie. Likewise, the black crappie may appear so pale as to make one believe that it is a white crappie. Confusing, huh? (grin)

I haven't found an end all beat all way to distinguish the 2 species from each other. One way is to count the spines on the dorsal and anal fins. I forget which is which right now though. One has more spines than the other (supposedly), but even this is not an exact science.

There is also a "hybrid" crappie or cross-bred crappie called a black-nose crappie. It is easy to identify as it will have a black stripe going from the top of its lip to the dorsal fin usually.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]