Re: fishing opportunities around Auburn?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 03, 2001 at 12:58:52:

In Reply to: fishing opportunities around Auburn? posted by Rob G on October 02, 2001 at 13:40:06:

You might wish to try the county lakes? Lee and Chambers Counties have public lakes and both are within a 30 minute drive. They rent boats for a couple of dollars and the permit is a couple of dollars. If you want to fish the whole lake, you might want to rent a trolling motor and battery, especially recommended to fish Chambers County Lake.

While getting my undergrad. degree, I caught a 7 lb. bass at Chambers and hundreds of dinks. When back several years later for my masters (left in '97), I caught a 9-1/2 lb. bass, but not so many dinks since the state biologists had been trying to cull the small bass population. Don't get me wrong, it was hard fishing and I must have fished the lake hundreds of times. But the beauty of Chambers Co. Lake always kept me coming back. The west side of the lake is hills and timber and has hundreds of deer and other wildlife that frequent the lake. I never fished much for bream, and don't recall many people in boats fishing for bream so the flyrod action might be very good along the banks with lots of fallen timber and cover. The east side banks get fished pretty hard with cane poles where nothing big enough to bite a hook is thrown back! For this reason, I highly recommend a boat to get off the beaten path. I have also caught 20+ crappie in this lake at certain times of the year.

At Chambers Co, I will guarantee a therapeutic trip that is one of the most peaceful and relaxing fishing trips a person can find. Lee County is not as serene or large and most of the banks with good water depth are accessible to bank fisherman so it seems to get more pressure. Lee Co. does not allow outboard motors and Chambers Co. allows at idle speed only so the boat traffic is not like a major lake. And sometimes during the week, I would be the only, or one of the few, people on the whole lake.

If the county lake trips are too far, you might want to check out Chewacla State Park. I don't think the fishing is so hot at the park, at least not bass fishing, but it is a nice place to visit and relax for $1.

Just the thought of old memories is producing many "excuses" for me to want to hook up the boat and visit friends in Auburn! And as you can tell, I am kinda partial to Chambers Co. Lake. Let us know if you go!

The get to Chambers Co lake from Auburn, take I-85 to Cussetta exit 70 and turn left. The lake is about 5 miles on the left. Check the web pages to see which days the lakes are closed.

http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/agfd/lakes.html

Good luck,
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: