Decatur crappie (no boat) and Thanks!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 30, 2001 at 19:24:24:

First, thanks to everyone who has been so kind in answering my posts about fixing my boat and trailer. Along with the posts on the NAFF message board, I have received a couple of emails with helpful information. I still haven't decided how I am going to protect the keel, but I now have a few more ideas than I did before. Unfortunately, the pc11 we used to patch the leak didn't set up properly and I will have to clean that off and start over... welding this time. Anyway, thanks again for all your help!

I tried a few spots from the bank today and actually did manage to catch 3 keeper crappie at the pumps (Day Park) at the north end of the Hwy 31 causeway near Decatur. I fished my usual bass assassin/16th oz. jighead combo under a cork from 2-3 feet deep. They were all within 1/4 inch of each other with the biggest going 10.5 inches. I fished here from about 11am to noon.

Nothing under the causeway bridge on Hwy31. No current and no fish. I always do better here when they are pulling the water.

I had heard that some crappie were being taken on Limestone creek so I made a trip to Arrowhead landing. 5 trailers were parked at the ramp, but the only boat I saw was a cabin cruiser that had just launched. So, if they are catching them there, it must be in the deeper channel and not the stump fields visible from the ramp.

Parked under the Interstate-65 bridge and walked about a half mile to one of the ditches on the Wheeler refuge. Nothing.

Oh well, it was a pretty day, so I just had to get out and look. Wheeler dam wasn't scheduled to release water until 4pm this afternoon. My best guess, and it is a guess since I haven't tried it yet, is night fishing. As soon as I hear more on that or find out for myself I'll let you know!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]