Keel guards

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 28, 2001 at 14:17:17:

Just thought I'd run this by the NAFF readers and see if any of you have any suggestions... especially from personal experience!

I have an aluminum boat and since I often fish alone, I have a habit of (gently) running the front of the boat onto the bank or ramp so that I can get out without getting my feet wet. Of course, the inevitable happened. No matter how gently this is done, the keel eventually wears out and leaks. I had only a small place worn away (about 1.5 inch 'crack') right on the center of the keel where it first reaches its lowest point.

A friend of mine helped me patch the spot with pc11, but I am sure it would not hold for long with me beaching my boat in the same manner. So, I went looking for a keel guard and found one at a local boat store... for about $175.00. That was for a full hull length keel guard. I found shorter guards on the internet for as "little" as $106.00. So, I am trying to find something else to use at a MUCH lower cost and hopefully someone or a few of you have some experience with this.

My keel has a "spline" that resembles a corner mold in shape, is raised about 1 inch or so from the hull and is about 1 inch or so wide. I have thought about spitting a hard, yet flexible hose and using that, but like I said I am looking for someone who has tried other ways of doing this successfully without buying the high dollar commercial keel guards that are available.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]