Re: fly fishing for trout

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed Maa on September 22, 2001 at 14:13:18:

In Reply to: fly fishing for trout posted by Jonathan Fogle on September 21, 2001 at 15:03:17:

Try Jasper, Al, about 45-50 min NW of Birmingham. The Sipsey River is dammed up there at Smith Lake and the tailwater has, I believe, the only rainbow trout in the state? Anyway, they release water all the time so listen for the sirens and pick a spot as a water mark... and don't let deep water stand between you and your exit! There's a little fly shop pretty much near the turnoff to get to the pump station, and they have flies and guides and info (www.1flyfish.net). Bring some tiny flies and a 2 wt rod, and I think you can keep them if you do that sort of thing.

Definitely, north Georgia's the place, heck, even the Chatahoochee inside of Atlanta's perimeter is great fishing. I wish I were there now! (I'm in Baton Rouge currently).

Good luck, Ed

ps. when they're not running water (ie when you can fish) the tailwater is very much a still water scenario. 2-3 min drifts are not uncommon, you have to really straighten the leader out because they have all day to look at it....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]