Guntersville crappie from the bank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 18, 2001 at 23:03:58:

I didn't get started until almost noon so I didn't expect to have much luck, but I decided to drive over to the Guntersville area and try fishing under some of the many bridges. There were a lot of boats under several bridges, but all I actually saw being caught were some bream and at one bridge there were a LOT of bass busting on schools of shad, but I couldn't get them to hit any artificial baits and couldn't get any shad since I didn't have a net.

At the same bridge I did manage to catch 5 very small crappie using the bass assassin jig. I had to cast out very far and let it get to the bottom then work it very slowly back up to the bank. The fish hit really deep and close to the bottom. They were all black crappie and ranged from about 6-8 inches long. The deeper water I was trying to reach was about 25 feet according to a boater I asked to check his depth finder.

Maybe if I had been there early there would have been some bigger fish and I wouldn't be surprised if the larger crappie are being taken at night, but with the mosquitos still flying around thick, I don't think I will try that...yet. I didn't fish under all the bridges around G'ville because of lack of time and energy, but if things run true to past years the crappie should start to show up thicker and thicker over the next 4 weeks and by the middle of October should be in full swing. The main thing right now is for the water temps to start cooling. Sorry, once again I didn't have my temp guage...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]