Crappie - first hand on Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 18, 2001 at 00:44:46:

After I posted the recent message about crappie being taken from creeks and inlets on the Tennessee river, I thought I should find out for myself. No arm twisting was necessary! (grin)

I was in the water about 7am and had 8 crappie by 9am. 5 were keepable with the largest at 11.5 inches, but even that one was very thin. From 9am until about 11am I didn't have ANY luck at all. Then about 11:30 I found a spot with some activity. I managed another 5 crappie before about 12 noon, the biggest one from this group was 12.5 inches, but there again was very skinny and not impressive at all. I did manage one small bluegill and no bass this trip. I left the water by 1:00pm

I was fishing lay-downs and brush piles with a crystal shad Bass Assassin and 16th oz jighead.. Most fish came from vertical jigging VERY slowly in these places and one or two came from casting into shallow water from deep water and letting the jig fall along the drop-off. Early they came from 6-8 feet in about 15 foot depth and later they came from 8-10 feet in about 15 foot depth.

All in all I was happy with the results for this early in the season. About 5 hours and 13 crappie with 10 that were keepable by length, but not impressive by weight. All fish were released alive and well, but hungry! Only one was a black crappie. The rest were white crappie. No black-nose crappie, but lots of mosquitos!!!

No surface water temp report as I forgot my guage. Been using it in the window with my fan lately and keep forgetting to take it out. (smile)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]