Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 16, 2001 at 00:06:03:

I am getting reports of crappie being taken from creeks and inlets along the Tennessee river, but most of them are small. Most have to be measured to be sure if they are even nine inches. A friend of mine calls these fish "locals" in that they stay in the creek channels all summer and never head for the main river channel. One fellow I talked to said he had been catching crappie all summer, but I suspect it was usually slow and hot and miserable, too much for me when an all day trip would only net about 10 (if you were lucky) small crappie with few ranging to a pound or more per several trips. The fish were taken mostly on minnows about 6-8 feet deep in lay-downs and brush piles.

Oh well, over the next two months as temperatures drop and the water cools, the bigger fish should start to "come up" and be easier to catch. Even with the draught last year, it was a good crappie season overall. I am expecting even a better fall and spring this year with the better than average rain and it is looking like the temps will be closer to "normal" as we enter Autumn. At least I hope this will all come true! Yep, I am spoiled. I like to catch my crappie fast, furious, and big and I think this crappie season will be yet another one of those seasons that "spoil" me. (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]