Wheeler tailraces - small stripe, drum, and smallies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 25, 2001 at 21:40:55:

Went below Wheeler with Alex (his boat) today. Put in about 10:30am and left about 6:30pm

One turbine was on at 10:00am and more at about 11:00am. About 1:00pm???, they turned on at least one of the big turbines 9,10 and 11???

Anyway, we had a tough time getting shad large enough for the net to catch, but did manage to get them with a little work. Lots of smaller stripe/white bass, the EVER present drum and some catfish. We drifted shad minnows (around 3 inchers) all day and came up with about 15 smallies with 2 keepers. The biggest was 3.5 pounds. Alex caught both keepers and I was happy to catch about 6 much smaller small mouths.

Lots of boats on the water, but a pretty civilized bunch of folks. Also, when we needed to go to the bank for bait the folks fishing on the bank were very nice about letting us cast our net. Of course we tried not to get on top of anyone fishing from the bank and always asked before getting in their fishing space. I was quite happily surprised by several of the bank fishermen as they helped to guide us to schools of shad and allowed us in their fishing space courteously after we asked and some even volunteered the their space for our net!!! I think it just goes to show that a little respect and courtesy goes a long way when it flows in both directions.

Anyway, I am tired and crisp from the sun and heat. It was a good day of fishing overall and with the company of a good friend.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]