One crappie and some small white/striped bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 23, 2001 at 20:00:29:

I finally got my boat out tuesday, after several weeks of staying inside in the cool of the air conditioning. Monday and Tuesday morning of this last week were kind of nice; in the mid to low 60's and fairly low humidity.

I put the boat in at Hwy 31 on Flint creek between 6:30 and 7:00 am and headed downstream to check out some of my favorite fall spots. I didn't see much on the depth finder and nothing on my line for the first hour or so. Yes I did see some fish on the finder, but nothing that really "caught my eye". I did manage to catch one crappie (9 3/4 inches) by casting a red/chartreuse jig into about 3-4 feet of water and working it slowly down the dropoff into 10-12 feet of water. This fish had a large red sore, probably eustongylides, on his side but was otherwise healthy looking. Worked this area for about another 30-60 minutes with absolutely no results. I did manage to catch one tiny spotted bass nearby, but it was really tiny!

Trailered the boat by about 9:00 am and put in at the sewage plant in Decatur. The only fish I was able to get on the line were small white/striped bass under the causeway bridge. This is the same spot I was fishing a couple of weeks ago from the bank. The fish were a little bit bigger but there were fewer hitting and the largest I caught was probably only about 1.25 pounds. He put up a good fight on 6# test and the other 20-25 fish I caught there were fun too.

Oh well, I guess it will still be another month and a half or so before I get to really scratch my crappie itch!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry Grissett

P.S.
All fish were released. Didn't even fill the live well with water.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]