Thanks! Re: Deep cycle marine batteries - advice?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 19, 2001 at 20:43:25:

In Reply to: Deep cycle marine batteries - advice? posted by Kerry Grissett on August 13, 2001 at 22:26:12:

Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my question. I think I will go with the Walmart EverStart 29 series.

Just for the record: I always remove my batteries (I use 2 for a 12/24 system) from the boat and bring them inside since I live in an apartment right now and don't want them to be stolen.

They are placed on charge as soon as they are inside. I have 3 chargers, a 10 amp Schumacher Deep Cycle, a 6/2 amp Schumacher and a 1-1/4 amp Battery Tender. If I know I am going out the next morning I place one battery on the 10 amp and the other on the 6 amp. Sometimes I wire them so I can charge both with the 10 amp at the same time. If I know I will not be going out the next morning I place them on the Battery Tender for a slow charge. This unit will trickle charge when full charge is reached and is supposed to be safe to leave connected and charging as it drops to about .25 amps or less for the trickle charge.
I also keep a close watch on the water level and only use distilled water.

One other thing is that when the cooler weather sets in I fish much more than the average person. Not as much as a guide like Troy Jens who spends about 300 days a year on the water, but I do put the batteries through quite a few full days (daylight to dusk) from early fall to late spring. So I do put a lot of pressure on those trolling batteries!

Thanks again for all the help and advice!!! Great group of people here!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]