Re: 2 more days

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve B on August 09, 2001 at 09:03:44:

In Reply to: 2 more days posted by landis cauthen on August 08, 2001 at 17:33:06:

Hey Landis, if the weather doesn't get too snotty I'll be fishing the Wheeler Tailrace Friday afternoon. I live about 60 miles south of there on Smith Lake and have been going up a couple times a week since spring. My bud and I have had some real good days on the Striper and have seen some good signs the last two weeks that some better smallmouth are moving in. I put in at the camp just below the dam, I think it's Fishermans Resort. They don't have a launch fee and nice people run it. Even if i don't need any tackle stop in and buy a Coke and look at some of the pics. Some really nice smallmouth have come in this year. Two weeks ago a boat brought in 4 over 4 on topwater plugs in the tailrace just before dark.
Some basic setups will get you fish day in and day out, Pearl Spoon and a three way swivel with an ounce weight, something topwater either a chugging bobber about 3 feet ahead of a white popper or a plug {i like a silver or white devilhorse or topedo}, a medium spinning outfit for med to large minnows and a #2 baithook a couple of feet behind a 1/4oz spiltshot.
Some days the Drum are in there pretty thick but if your taking kids they can be a lot of fun. A 8 or 10 pounder in swift current is a handfull and to a kid a big fish is a big fish don't matter the make or model.{just tell'em their Tennessee Grouper}
They have been turning the turbines on in the later morning and running them till after dark.
I'll be in the War Wagon, Tracker Deep V, old Mercury, has anchormates fore and aft, oversized motorguide, and dual headlights.
Good Luck to you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]