Re: Abu Matic Reels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 08, 2001 at 04:10:40:

In Reply to: Abu Matic Reels posted by Bud on August 07, 2001 at 13:10:02:

P.S.

Thanks for reminding me. I was really disappointed that the Abu's didn't hold up for me. Some other things that I left out of the original reply:

The aluminum housing scratched very easily even when great care is taken. Although the outer housing is made of aluminum (875,1275), it bends easily and won't stand up to even mild punishment. I believe this is the probable cause of at least some of the misalignments I experienced.

They have a button to hold the gears so you can disassemble the guts, but it slips easily and makes it hard to unscrew the takeup pin housing.

The drag works great, at first, but even with regular cleaning, lubrication and line changes, the drag leaves something to be desired eventually. The one I still have is holding up on this point for now, but experience tells me that it will eventually have the same problems.

The 475, 875, and 1275 are bulky and heavy for a closed face spinning reel. Although they can hold a LOT of line, I have never needed that much line and usually don't remove all the line when respooling. I splice onto a backing of old line with 75 to 100 yards of new line. I have been using 6# test.

As I said before, someone who fishes only infrequently or only on weekends may find this reel to their liking, but I think the AbuMatics suffer from a lack of quality control in production (I found machining burls that should have been removed in production on 3 out of the 4 I have owned), possible design problems and definite problems with quality of material used in manufacture.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Your mileage may vary! (grin)

Kerry Grissett

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]