Re: Abu Matic Reels

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 07, 2001 at 14:33:04:

In Reply to: Abu Matic Reels posted by Bud on August 07, 2001 at 13:10:02:

It is bad news for the AbuMatic. I have been through 4 reels and only have one of them left. They just aren't up to heavy fishing. Although they make a good first impression, the Abumatics just simply are not the quality I expected for $60. That's the price for their top of the line 1275 model. I can't speak about the lower models with the exception of the one 875 I owned for a short time. It developed grooves in the metal around the takeup pin in less than 2 weeks. On another one the handle simply broke off in my hand while reeling in a small crappie and on yet a third one I was nearly unable to remove the spool assembly for cleaning and this reel became so badly aligned that it became unusable. All of them suffered from some sort of misalignment of the takeup pin housing causing them to make a scraping or clicking noise when reeling, with the (knock on wood) exception of the single Abumatic I have left. When it fails it will be my last venture into Abumatic-land.

I could go on with more details, but I will just say that I do NOT recommend them for anyone expecting them to hold up in the long term. I am basing this on my own fishing habits, so someone who fishes a lot less than I may do well with the Abu's, but I won't be buying another one.

Presently I have a Daiwa Goldcast model GC80, which is the smaller of the three models they offer. It has similar features to the Abu, but is much smaller and lighter. The drag is adjusted by a wheel on top of the housing instead of the star type. This sometimes is a problem for me since I cup the reel in the palm of my hand and accidentally move the wheel at times. It also has the single instead of dual handle. I prefer a dual handle. It does have the reciprocating spool and takes much less line to fill than the Abu's did, but the GC80 model has a fairly slow retrieve. Sorry, I don't remember the gear ratio. So far, after slightly over 3 months, it has performed well but it hasn't seen a full crappie season yet and that will be the real test; when I am fishing every chance I get and putting the reel through its paces! (grin) The Daiwa GC series all run right around $60. More on this one sometime the first of next year.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]