More Willow flies (Mayflies) at Decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 04, 2001 at 23:58:47:

As most of the regular readers of the NAFF already know I have not been doing much fishing during this hot weather. Yesterday (friday) I did manage to get out and check the Hwy 31 causeway at Decatur and found yet another major fly hatch going on. There was evidence that it had been going on at least since thursday since flies were floating all over the water around the Day park (pumps) area. The wind was out of the west, which isn't ideal for the causeway when the willow flies are hatching as they tend to be in the trees on the west side and a west wind only blows them over the highway and not the water. In any case, I did manage to catch quite a few small bream on several small jigs and artificial flies. Nothing to get excited about, but it was nice to catch a few fish after being away from it for a while. BTW, I was fishing only from the bank. I haven't had the boat out in quite a while.

I also tried under the causeway bridge and found literally hundreds of small (1/4 - 1/2 pound) stripe and white bass running. They would hit absolutely ANYTHING! I used an assortment of jigs and caught them on every cast with few exceptions. I even tried using a very small cork with only a bare hook tied behind it. I worked it medium fast in a jigging motion and still caught fish nearly every cast. That was on friday. Tried it again this afternoon (saturday) with exactly the same results.

OK, ok... no they were not big fish and they were only white bass and stripe, but it sure did scratch my itch to catch fish fast and furious!! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry (Looking forward to the fall!!!)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]