Re: Trout Fishing in AL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on July 16, 2001 at 23:11:52:

In Reply to: Trout Fishing in AL posted by Richard Stec on July 15, 2001 at 07:44:07:

As someone else has already said, they do stock trout below Lewis Smith dam. About every sixty days they release trout into the tailraces below the dam. There are supposed to be 3000-3500 released with a little more in the spring.

As for wading, I saw folks wading and fishing while no water was being released from the dam. I have never done this myself (yet), so I can't give you much info on it except that you really should check the release schedule before you go! If you get there when they are releasing water, then you probably have wasted a trip. Also, if you are wading or standing on the rocks on the shore and you hear the release warning siren/horn, GET OUT OF THE WATER FAST! The water current and level can rise VERY fast!!!

The last time I was there was when there were releasing trout. I caught my fill from the overlook and it appeared that they would have hit anything. Not really challenging, but a lot of fun! The link below may still be wrong about the last release of trout. It was on thursday, July 12.

Sipsey Fork, below Smith dam - DCNR page
http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/agfd/fish/smithtw.html

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]