Re: Smith dam tailrace trout stocking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on July 12, 2001 at 17:47:57:

In Reply to: Re: Smith dam tailrace trout stocking posted by Jeff on July 12, 2001 at 10:29:11:

I was there today when they released the trout. Supposedly they released 3000-3500 fish, but it didn't really look like that many to me, however there were quite a few.

I was at the overlook at the dam right next to the tube in which they send the fish down to the water. Almost as soon as the water settled down after they released the fish I started catching them. I had been trying a lot of different small jigs and flies before the release with no luck at all. When they released the fish I had a small artificial crawfish on and it was like shooting fish in a barrel! I probably caught between 20 and 30 and lost at least that many in the 45 minutes or so before they turned on the turbines. I had flattened the barb on the hooks to try and not damage the fish since I was planning on returning all of them. Average size was about 1/4 to 1/2 pound, but there were some larger, maybe 3/4 pound.

I don't know squat about trout fishing, so all I can tell you is to try and be there on the day they release the fish or sometime soon afterward. This weekend should be good. Also, make sure to check the release schedule at the dam before going. It seems to me that it is a waste of time to go when the water is running... it is simply too fast to fish, although there may be some folks out there who know how to catch them when it is like that.

I have also heard that powerbait, worms, and willow/mayflies work well, but haven't tried any of these.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]